Wednesday, 1 May 2013

5 Movies That Made Me Cry



These are my opinions and mine only. I'm not saying these are at all the saddest films ever, just the films that made me tear up. Furthermore, I haven't seen every film in the world so there are probably plenty of sadder films that aren't on the list. For example, I know for a fact my sister would top the list with Titanic and Romeo & Juliet but I haven't actually seen them (I've seen a bit of the former but still), so they can't be on my list.

 

 

So, lately, I've been watching a lot of films. I'm obsessed with watching films at the moment. I've been watching films at any chance I get. So far this year, I've watched about 35 or 36 films, and I'm halfway through watching two others. It probably didn't help that this obsession ended up colliding with a sudden fascination with Johnny Depp, but, hey, at least that means I know what films to actually watch.

 

 A lot of people don't like watching emotional films but, personally, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with having a bit of a cry for the sake of watching a good movie. I guess you have to be in the right mood but I don't know - a film's a film, so anything's game. Okay, that's a lie. Bad films aren't okay but that's beyond the point.

 

Anyway, based on what I've seen, I've decided to comile a list of 5 films that made me cry - I don't know if these films actually made me cry the most but these are the ones I particularly remember moving me to tears.

 

5 - The Lion King




Okay, to be fair, that one scene (and I assume you know what I mean) in The Lion King is one of the saddest things ever in the history of film ever and it's just not at all fun to watch and it's painful and I swear I actually just cry every bloody time and it's not okay. However, though I may cry at that one moment more than I do most other sad parts of films, the film overall isn't really that sad at all, so it only gets to be #5. I really don't like animals in distress, even if they're animated and I don't know why. A poor, sad lion cub affects me more than a sad child. But that one scene is just all kinds of painful. Luckily, the rest of the film is far cheerier so I'm never sad for long but it's probably one of the only films I've ever watched where I end up with tears actually running down my face, even if it's only for that one bit.
 



 

4 - Blow

 

Oh, finally, it's not a war film. Actually, this is a film about the real-life drug baron, George Jung (played by Johnny Depp). Basically, the film follows his entrance into the world of drug-dealing and the various up-and-downs he experience, with George all the while spiralling off into his own imminent downfall. What is weird about this film, though, is the fact you genuinely end up feeling sorry for George. Normally, you're not expected to sympathise with drug dealers but George is an honestly sympathetic character. Prior to actually watching the film, I had read that this film was strangely sad like that, making you a pity a normally hated kind of character. At first, I didn't get it because, while I didn't see anything immoral in the character, I didn't like him, not a bit. He just wasn't very likeable somehow. But, about half an hour in, and I was in tears. I think this film surprised me the most, in that respect. I actually teared up at several moments during the film. It was in no way an uplifting film and it was really quite depressing but it was really, really good. But not okay. Not at all okay. It messed with my feelings.


 



3 – The Boy in the Striped Pajamas



This is yet another wartime film, yet it differs in that it doesn’t focus on any kind of battle. In fact, this film, of British production, follows young German boy, Bruno (played by Asa Butterfield, the kid who can act real good with his nostrils) and his discovery of a Concentration Camp by his family’s new home in the countryside (I’m not sure but I think it’s implied that it is Auschwitz) - his dad is a Nazi commandant. There, he encounters a young Jewish boy and they quickly become friends. This film is, for the most part, pretty heartwarming but there are glaringly dark undertones throughout the whole thing (which only makes sense, it's about the Holocaust!!). It's a pretty interesting film, and it shows the horrors of the Holocaust through the naïve eyes of a child. This film has a really sad ending, though, and, while I won't say what happens, I'll just say that I cry every bloody time. And, thanks to it being relevant to my education, I have seen it quite a few times. If you've read the book but haven't seen the film, well...yeah, the film's ending is slightly different but it's also all the more depressing. Not fun.
 
 
2 – War Horse
 

Another war film, since that’s a generally tear-jerking genre, this is yet another Spielberg war epic (he does a lot of them, right?). Like I said before, one thing I cannot deal with is animals in distress. I end up feeling about 10 times sorrier for animal characters than human characters, just by default. War Horse is a film about a horse, Joey, who, as a result of the turmoil of war, gets separated from its beloved owner, Albert (played by Jeremy Irvine, who I’ve only seen in one other film). The horse travels across Europe, being passed from owner to owner in a touching documentation of the varying effects of war. There are a whole lot of reasons to shed some tears in this film and the whole thing is a truly moving piece of film. It was sort of an emotional rollercoaster all on its own. Okay, it might sound daft, but this film gives me more than enough reason to believe that animals can act. Furthermore, as Joey is a totally neutral character, we are given a totally unbiased view of each and every person he encounters; the only strong message is that war is a terrifying and monstrous thing. I was kind of on the edge of my seat for a lot of this movie, genuinely concerned about this fictional bloody horse.



1 – 71 : Into the Fire




This film is a thoroughly depressing war film, detailing the true story of seventy-one teenage boy soldiers and their attempts to defend P'ohang-dong girls’ middle school during the Battle of P'ohang-dong. Despite the lack of experience these boys, forced by the Korean War’s conscription laws to fight, they manage to hold off North Korean troupes for 11 hours. The films follows Oh Jang-beom (played by Choi Seunghyun, or, as he is far more commonly known, BIGBANG’s TOP), a nervous and genuinely likeable character. As is the case with the all war films, there is very, very little to cheer about. It also seems to help that there aren’t any forced attempts to praise America for all it’s worth (seeing as Americans play a minimal role in this film). With a cast of endearing and sympathetic characters, and powerful visuals, this film is really moving. I don’t actually think I’ll watch this film again for a long, long time but that only proves how good it is. It was too emotional.  I’d recommend it to anyone and everyone, granted they’re fine with a lot of depressing stuff.




 
And, so, there we have it - a collection of tearjerkers, each with rather different stories and entirely different protagonists.
Actually, Toy Story 3 was a very close contender for #5. That film tugged on the heartstrings. Violently. And, to be fair, Sweeney Todd, was pretty high on the list. The last time I watched that film, I just sobbed at the end. Blegh.
 
But, just so you know, I honestly think that each and every one of these films is really good, and, if you haven't seen them, you really, really should (though, I'm talking more about #1-#4 than I am The Lion King, cause, I mean, it's The Lion King and stuff).

No comments:

Post a Comment